Below is a list of steps we recommend you take if your electricity has been disconnected, you have received notice of disconnection, or you need to share resources with friends, family, or neighbors. 

  1. For a complete list of resources available to you, please call 211 and press 9 to speak with a community resource specialist. More information about Virginia’s 211 service found here:
  2. Notify your House Delegate and State Senator ASAP regarding your electricity disconnection.
  3. You may also wish to alert the State Corporation Commission (SCC) to your situation using their online complaint form. The SCC is a state agency with regulatory authority over public utilities.