Job Description: Communications Manager
Clean Virginia is an independent and bipartisan advocacy organization with an associated Political Action Committee that wants Virginians to pay fair prices for clean, renewable energy and believes that a more ethical and transparent state government is key to achieving that goal. The Clean Virginia team is motivated by a vision of Virginia in which power is distributed more equitably so that all Virginians benefit from a government and energy system that prioritizes people and the planet over corporate monopoly profit.
Clean Virginia works towards this vision in three ways:
- Work with a broad movement to engage the public about the harmful impacts of corruption in Virginia and organize communities to promote good governance and energy reform.
- Engage in innovative research to advance the next generation of energy policy in Virginia.
- Support Delegates, State Senators, and candidates for Virginia’s General Assembly and Executive Branch who share a principled stance of refusing contributions from publicly regulated utility monopolies through Clean Virginia Fund, Clean Virginia’s Political Action Committee.
About Us: We are a small team of dedicated people headquartered in Charlottesville, Virginia. We are a highly collaborative staff, and we lean on the collective experience, knowledge, and skills of our team and cultivate interpersonal trust and open communication. Clean Virginia believes a staff that reflects the Commonwealth’s diversity is central to our organizational goals of advancing clean governance and an equitable clean energy transition in Virginia. We are committed to 1) building an inclusive team at Clean Virginia in which diversity is deeply appreciated for its ability to strengthen teams, 2) fostering a welcoming work environment in which everyone feels safe, respected, and valued, and 3) offering equitable employment policies and benefits.
Job Description, Communications Manager
The Communications Manager will develop and distribute engaging content to promote Clean Virginia’s mission of clean energy and clean governance. They will assist the Advocacy and Communications Director in developing the organization’s communications, marketing, content, and media strategy, develop and distribute engaging publicity material. They will manage Clean Virginia’s digital platforms including the website, social media accounts, and Clean Virginia’s CRM. They will lead content creation for Clean Virginia’s priority audiences and to achieve campaign goals in coordination with colleagues, freelancers, and partner organizations. They will maintain relationships with contractors, vendors, and other third parties needed to complete projects.
This position works closely with the entire Clean Virginia team and reports directly to Clean Virginia’s Advocacy and Communications Director. It requires a willingness and ability to travel around the state and work outside of traditional hours as necessary.
We prefer a candidate who is located in Charlottesville or Richmond. We are open to the right candidate who lives in another nearby area in Virginia. Regular travel to our headquarters in Charlottesville will be required.
Duties and responsibilities
- Assist the Advocacy and Communications Director in developing and implementing an effective communications and outreach strategy based on our target audience and policy goals, in collaboration with the legislative and electoral teams. Work closely with these teams to coordinate public outreach during the Virginia legislative session, key regulatory proceedings, electoral cycles, and relevant messaging opportunities.
- Proactively identify communications opportunities. Write, edit, and distribute content for digital and outreach platforms and other public output.
- Facilitate partnerships with freelance content creators and distributors on advocacy and messaging campaigns.
- Assist colleagues with event planning and promotion including press conferences, lobby days, and organizing events.
- Assist the Advocacy and Communications Director in managing communications budget line items and associated contractors and freelancers including graphic designers, videographers, and paid media vendors.
- Maintain and improve Clean Virginia’s website, blog, CRM, digital tools, and social media accounts.
- Monitor data analytics, including Google Analytics, in order to develop data-backed content strategies.
- Ensure Clean Virginia’s strategic imperative of equity, justice, and inclusion is included in communications output and organizing efforts.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in a communications-related field (e.g. communications, marketing, social or behavioral science, English, advertising, or visual arts).
- Professional experience or training in communications or marketing. Superior communication, writing, and interpersonal skills.
- A passion for affordable and accessible clean energy, climate solutions, ethics and good governance, corporate monopoly accountability, and economic justice.
- A deft ability to work with multiple stakeholders, enthusiasm for teamwork and collaboration, and a strong respect for your colleagues and their unique ideas and perspectives.
- A demonstrated understanding of evocative storytelling, effective communications strategy, and visual design principles.
- Strong administrative and project management skills.
- Experience working with WordPress or similar platform, EveryAction or a similar contact management system, digital outreach tools like NewMode, graphic design, data analytics, and social media platforms.
- Detail-oriented self-starter with the ability to independently prioritize and manage multiple ongoing projects.
- Willingness to travel around Virginia for intermittent day trips in-state and occasional overnight trips and to represent Clean Virginia at events or programs occurring after typical business hours.
Please complete this Google Form and follow the applications instructions by Monday, July 10th. Applications that do not follow these instructions will not be considered.
Clean Virginia is committed to a just, representative, and inclusive working environment and encourages people of color, women, persons with disabilities, and persons who are LGBTQ to apply.
Clean Virginia offers a highly competitive salary and benefits package which includes:
- A salary range of $75,000 to $85,000 based on relevant experience.
- Generous paid time off every year: 4 weeks (20 days) of vacation, 10 sick and wellness days for physical and mental health, 15 paid holidays, and 10 days of bereavement leave.
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave for the birth or adoption of a child.
- Employer contribution of 90% of monthly premium cost for UnitedHealthcare Choice Plus Direct plan (Platinum level), including dental and vision coverage.
- Life insurance coverage.
- 401(k): Employer match of up to 5% of salary following 60 days of employment.
- Strong commitment to professional development including an allotted budget for each staff member